Monday, September 19, 2011

Cover Crazy Week 2

Cover Crazy is a weekly meme hosted by The Book Worms. I loooove book covers, so when I discovered this meme, I knew I had to participate! 

This week's cover:
 Above by Leah Bobet
Expected publication: April 1st, 2012

I came across this cover last week on another blog and did a double take. The cover itself immediately caught my eye, but then bam - hey, that's the CN Tower! I was so excited...not only a famous Canadian landmark, but one that's only 2 hours away (in Toronto), and one that I just visited 2 months ago!

I've been seeing the CN Tower my entire life, and when my sister-in-law and I went to see U2 in Toronto in July, we went up in the CN Tower - a very exciting first for both of us. Anyway, back to the cover...

I like the sepia tone. It's eye-catching to me, because most covers either seem to be black and white, really dark, or really bright colours. I haven't seen many sepia-toned covers. I also like it because you get a sense right away of the type of book it is. I could tell immediately that it was dystopian, but also knew there was something more because of the girl's wings, and that intrigued me.

Synopsis: Matthew has loved Ariel from the moment he found her in the tunnels, her bee's wings falling away. They live in Safe, an underground refuge for those fleeing the city Above--like Whisper, who speaks to ghosts, and Jack Flash, who can shoot lightning from his fingers.

But one terrifying night, an old enemy invades Safe with an army of shadows, and only Matthew, Ariel, and a few friends escape Above. As Matthew unravels the mystery of Safe's history and the shadows' attack, he realizes he must find a way to remake his home--not just for himself, but for Ariel, who needs him more than ever before.


What do you think of this cover?


8 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Never seen this book before but the cover is amazing. I'll read it just for that! Haha. Seriously!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick, I keep meaning to use this cover.It makes me think of a dystopian/faerie story and I love both of those themes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! I featured this one in one of my previous editions on this meme. I like the overall end-of-the-world feel to this cover.

    My Cover Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I thought the same thing; hey that's my city! Besides that I like how the girl has wings and the overall colour, it seems very apocalyptic in a way

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this cover too -- especially the sepia tones. It really gives you the sense that something has gone wrong in this world. I didn't realize it was in Canada! That's awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to the CN tower too! That is a beautiful cover and the description sounds awesome. Must add to TBR pile. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen the cover a few times, and never clued into the fact that it's the CN tower. I'm only an hour away from Toronto. When you went, did you walk on the glass floor? Very freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOO, pretty. I love the colors and the city scape. My eyes are also drawn to the detail of the girl's wings.

    Reading Lark's Cover Crazy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...