Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Supernaturally by Kiersten White
Series: Book #2 in Paranormalcy trilogy
Published: July 26th, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
366 pages (hardcover)
Genre: Young adult paranormal romance/urban fantasy
Acquired this book: at the library
Warning: may include spoilers

Synopsis: Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.


I really enjoyed Paranormalcy, but I think I liked Supernaturally even better.

I love that this series has a bit of everything - humour, romance, mystery, action. It carries on nicely from Paranormalcy, but the story and characters evolve and keep you interested. Despite her supernatural abilities, Evie is such a real character. Her emotions and actions are believable and relatable. She discovers that ‘normal’ life isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, and even though she’s no longer part of IPCA, it’s impossible to escape the supernatural world when she’s surrounded by it. She doesn’t really fit into either world, and she’s struggling to find not only her place, but also who she is, all while trying to assert some independence and enjoy her new-found freedom.

Jack was a great addition to the cast of characters. He’s funny, energetic, and a bit of a wild card. I didn’t really know what to think of him at first - or really, through the whole story - or whether to trust him…but that’s really all I can say without going into a major spoiler about Jack!

My favorite part of the book was when Evie and Jack were in Faerie. I’m obsessed with all things fae, and I loved White’s description of the faerie realms. I know I probably shouldn’t like Reth, but I loved him in the first book and I still love him…he’s just so dark and dangerous, but he’s charming and chivalrous and that gets to me. I’m such a girl lol.

And of course, I love Lend. He’s so sweet and kind, and so good for and to Evie. He’s patient and understanding, and makes Evie feel like she belongs, even when she doesn’t really know which world she belongs to. He makes her realize that home isn’t always a place, and I love that.

I cannot wait for Endlessly, the third and final book, to be released. Even though I’m anxious to find out what happens, I know I’m going to be sad to see this series come to an end!



2 comments:

  1. I still have to read the first book, but I keep waffling despite the good reviews. Maybe I'll wait till the third book comes out so I can read them back to back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I hate waiting a long time for books in trilogies or series, so I tend to do that, too. I hope you enjoy them if you ever do read them! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...