Monday, April 30, 2012

2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge: In the Zone


I'm sure most writers will know what I mean by 'in the zone' - when you get to that place where everything else falls away, all the distractions become background noise, and you're completely focused on your work. I love being in the zone. It hasn't happened much lately, because the distractions refuse to fade into the background, but it's an amazing feeling when it does happen. All those creative juices start flowing freely, your fingers start flying over the keyboard, and the words come so fast you can hardly keep up. I really miss being in the zone. Hopefully I can return there soon...it's such an amazing natural high.  

Do you ever wonder what you look like when you're in the zone? Do you make weird facial expressions and not realize it? Chew your lip, talk to yourself, squirm in your seat? When I'm in the zone, distractions make me really pissy. I tend to ignore people, and if that doesn't work, I get snippy. I don't mean to, it's just like, hello, can you not see I'm in the zone here? Maybe I need a sign or something, like one of those red lights they have in radio stations when you're on the air, but instead it reads IN THE ZONE. Hmm...

I love watching my two-year-old nephew when he's in the zone. You know how when little kids are concentrating they stick their tongues out? He's just started doing that, and it kills me. He has an incredible attention span for a toddler, and will play with his toys so intensely. When he gets in the zone, a parade could go through the living room and he wouldn't notice. Right now, I envy him his ability to concentrate and block out everything else. Maybe there's something to the whole sticking-out-your-tongue-while-you-work thing. I should try it.  

*****

I can't believe April is now almost officially over, and with it, the A to Z Challenge. Here's another Z word for you - Zippity do da! It's been a lot of fun, but man, it's been stressful! This month had so much more going on than I anticipated, so it's been hard to keep up, but somehow, miraculously, I managed to get every single post done. Yay! Thank you so much to everyone who has visited, commented, and followed the blog - it means a lot to me, and I hope you'll come back even after the challenge has ended!


7 comments:

  1. I've managed to get into my zone this past week and it was really annoying when I had to stop and do things like make dinner. lol I don't know if I do it when writing but there are times when I'm concentrating on something I stick my tongue between my teeth. I want to get in the zone writing and see if I notice now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about little kids and their tongues... It cracks me up! I am like you when I am 'in the zone' - try to block everything out, but when people are making noise, I tend to get snippy - or start speaking out loud, rather loudly, to let them know that I do NOT want to be disturbed!

    Yay for both of us! I cannot believe I did this whole challenge either... and I was fairly timely with the posts too! Now... on to those reading lists.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love being in the zone. It doesn't happen often enough but when I do get there, I barricade myself in my office and ignore the outside world as long as I can.

    Congratulations on having finished the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am grumpy when I'm in the zone lol! I'm happy to be there, but if people try to talk to me - it's not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being in the zone is so fun! I get all hyped up and probably bounce around with a big giddy smile on my face at the sheer brilliance of it all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES. I get so irritable when I'm in the zone, whether it's writing or reading or trying to finish a project that's literally fifteen seconds from being done. My family gets mad at me for it but I tell them, "I'm sorry but I need to finish this, please! I'll be all yours in ONE MINUTE!" Lol. I've been in and out of the zone lately. I like it a lot, it feels so good to get stuff done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the zone. Great expression. Children capture the feeling so well with their complete concentration. Well done on finishing. I see you have plenty of goals set for the time ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...