Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Scarlet Read-Along: Week 1 Favourite Quotes

Jessica from Thoughts at One in the Morning and I are proud to present the Scarlet Read-Along!
Want to join? It's not too late! You can check out the full reading and posting schedule, and sign up HERE

I had so many favourite quotes from Scarlet this week, it was kind of ridiculous. I wrote down two full pages of notes, and when I went to type them up, I realized I needed to cut some out. In case you couldn't guess, I'm loving this book so far! The quotes I'm sharing (there are still a lot...it was really hard to pare them down, damn it) are either just plain funny, or they show insight into Scarlet's character, or Robin's character.
 
Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.
It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.
Spoiler Warning: if you haven't read Scarlet, you might not want to read the quotes!


Rob looked at me, and as were fair usual, I felt my heart jump. He has a way of looking at me in particular that I’m not too pleased ’bout. I like slipping around and not being noticed. But Rob sees me. He even saw me before I knew he were looking. ~ page 2

“Even a thief deserves some respect.” ~ Robin, page 9

Rob used to be an earl, if you can believe it. It’s why he feels so particular ’bout his people, and why they feel so particular about him. Most still call him Your Grace. He’ll be an earl again when King Richard comes back for sure. ~ page 14

“As much as I’d like to see Will fall down Castle Rock, I’d like better for you, Fred.” ~ Little John, page 19

“Everyone knows Will Scarlet can do anything.” ~ Fred, page 19

“You lied to me tonight,” John said.
I shrugged. “I lie to you a lot. Reckon you might want to be more specific.”
“You said you’d wait at the top. You said we’d go together.”
“Well, yes, that was a lie.” ~ page 20

“I’m not from here, John.” Lie. “It’s not like these are my people.” Lie. “I don’t owe them anything and I’m getting fair bored of you and Rob always acting like you’re my fathers,” I said with a sneer I couldn’t hold back. That were a lie and a truth. Kind of. ~ page 24

We began walking away from the others and I kept a fair distance from Rob. I always have. He’s just…he’s the type you get attached to pretty easy, and I don’t want that. ~ page 28

That’s how it were between me and Rob—he’d say such things that made my chest feel like porridge instead of a heart, and just when I thought it might mean something more than me being a fool girl, he’d pull away sharp. It were just Rob’s way—he were the hero with everyone, and like Much couldn’t help but be enthralled, sometimes his hero’s way sucked me under like a current.” ~ page 30

And Rob should understand. He takes the guilt and responsibility that others can’t. John takes the punches. I just take the hunger, and most times it seems like awful little. ~ page 35

“You scare me…Thinking of you hurting scares me. So I have to do something. And you need to tell me what it is, because obviously what I was doing before wasn’t right.” ~ Robin, page 66

“I do what I do because I will always believe that no matter how awful life gets for however many of these people, there is something I can do about it. There is something I will do about it.” ~ Robin,  page 67 
*All quotes taken from Scarlet by AC Gaughen, published February 14th, 2012 by Walker Children's/Bloomsbury*


What were some of your favourite quotes from Scarlet this week? Share them in the comments below, or leave a link if you created a post of your own. 
Need a refresher on what chapters we're reading this week? Visit the Scarlet Read-Along page.

3 comments:

  1. AHHHHHH!!!! I loved all those moments between Scarlet and Robin... <3 I only did one quote this week though! I wanted to do more though. ;) I can do more next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those quotes were going to be my pick, too. I kept mine at 1, but like Jess, I definitely want to choose more next week. I love the line about thieves deserving respect. Great choices.

    My pick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I had every intention of joining you guys and I might yet but I just haven't got my hands on a copy of the book....plus the reading slump and all. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...