Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wanderlust Wednesday ~ London To-Do List Edition

 

6 weeks from TODAY will be my first full day in London. Krista and I arrive at Heathrow Airport around 8:30am (which will be 3:30am our regular time). From there, we’ll take the tube to Russell Square, where our hotel is. We’re not sure whether we’ll be able to check in early or if we’ll have to have our bags locked away and come back later, but after freshening up, either in a lobby bathroom or (preferably) in our hotel room, we plan to hit the town and start sightseeing right away! We meet up with our tour group Saturday evening, so we have almost four full days on our own, then another two days in London before heading for Paris. One of my friends moved to London in November, so we plan to meet up with her at some point, but I’m not sure when or where or what we’ll be doing.

I’ve dreamed of going to London my whole life, so there’s a TON of stuff I want to do. We toyed with the idea of getting a London Pass, but I think that’s on hold for now. We’re just going to wander around, see as much as possible, take a day trip on Friday the 19th to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath (EEP!), and then possibly get the London Pass once we’re with the group. There are a few structured/planned things once we meet up with everyone, but for the most part we’re on our own, so we’re hoping to make a few friends who have the same interests as us and go in a group to see some of the sights.


THINGS WE PLAN TO DO IN LONDON 
In no particular order

  • EAT ALL THE FISH AND CHIPS. Fish and chips are pretty much my go-to in most restaurants anyway, so I'll be in heaven!
  • Visit the Tower of London
  • Visit Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
  • See 221B Baker Street (we don’t plan to go inside since it’s expensive and apparently not really worth it, but we want to see it, see the ‘Sherlock trail’ from the tube, and take pics
  • See Trafalgar Square
  • Go to the British Museum
  • Go across Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Millennium Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, and just about any and every other bridge
  • Visit Westminster Abbey
  • Go to Platform 9 3/4 at King’s Cross Station
  • See Buckingham Palace
  • See/possibly visit Kensington Palace
  • See Elizabeth Tower (aka Big Ben) and the Parliament buildings
  • Check out a bunch of parks, specifically Kensington, Hyde, and Russell
  • Wander around Brompton Cemetery
  • Take a Jack the Ripper tour (this is included in our tour, which is SO exciting because I’m obsessed with Jack the Ripper)
  • See a West End musical (also included in the tour. I'm really hoping it's Mamma Mia!)
  • Visit M&M World and buy ALL THE CHOCOLATE
  • Go out clubbing at least one night with the group
  • See St. Paul’s Cathedral
  • See Southwark Cathedral
  • Visit Notting Hill, Covent Garden, Marylebone, Soho
  • Go to Borough Market
  • Go to Leadenhall Market (where they filmed scenes for Diagon Alley in the first Harry Potter movie)
  • Search for a TARDIS, Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Prince Harry, Colin Firth...the list goes on
  • Get souvenirs from all my British fandoms (Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Downton Abbey)
  • Visit Camdem Market, Oxford Street, Piccadilly Circus
  • Ride an open-air double decker bus
  • Try a few different types of beer, ale, cider, and possibly a shandy
  • Visit Gower Street, where they film BBC's Sherlock, and have lunch at Speedy's
  • Visit Harrods and buy myself something special (and overpriced, heh)
  • Visit at least one other museum (since they're one of the few free things to do in London, and I love museums). I'm thinking either the Victoria and Albert or the Natural History Museum, if not both.

  
I know that's a ton of stuff and it's probably unrealistic to expect to do it all in just six days, but I'm going to try my hardest! Have you done any of these things? How much of this stuff would be on your to-do list if you were going to London? Have I missed anything? Let's talk here or on Twitter!

3 comments:

  1. You're totally making me want to go to London again. It's my favorite! Definitely go see St Paul's and climb all the way to the top for the view. I hate Westminster Abbey but as it's right next to parliament and Big Ben you might as well go. You're doing a ton of stuff I wish I could go back and do. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you'll find a Tardis. You need to do the Jack Ripper tour. I will send you back if you don't! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited for you!! It's my absolute DREAM to go to London. I hope I'll be able to do it in a couple of years. I hope you get to see everything you want!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...