Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wanderlust Wednesday: British Fandom Edition

 

My trip to London, Paris, and Rome in June gave me a lot of ideas for Wanderlust Wednesday posts. With a few exceptions, I'll likely spend the rest of the year doing trip-themed posts every Wednesday. I hope you'll enjoy them!

This week's post is dedicated to fandom-related discoveries in London. Three of the things I love most are Sherlock, Harry Potter, and Doctor Who, and I got to see things related to all of them!

221B Baker Street, Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station, and the TARDIS!

Our first fandom-related stop in London was North Gower Street, where BBC's Sherlock is filmed. We got to see the facade of Sherlock and John's apartment, as well as Speedy's Sandwich Bar and Café, which you see in every episode of Sherlock. It was so exciting to know we were right where Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman film the show! Note the crooked knocker on the door of 221B - this made me laugh, because Mycroft is always straightening it and Sherlock purposely knocks it off-centre.

 
The next day, we went to Baker Street, where the Sherlock Holmes Museum is. We purposely went after it was closed so it would be quiet around for taking pictures. After peering in the windows and seeing a bit of the inside, I decided the museum will be on my list for the next time I'm in London. Sherlock and John Watson may be fictional characters, but after years of watching movies, TV shows, and reading countless Sherlock-related books, they're very real characters to me, so I loved getting to visit Baker Street.

That night when we went out for dinner, treacle tart was on the dessert menu, and I've always wanted to try it because it's Harry Potter's favourite dessert. It was delicious!


The souvenirs I bought at Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross: a Hogwarts Express train ticket, a Ravenclaw pin, and a billfold. 
If you go to Platform 9 3/4, prepare to wait in line quite awhile. Once you get up there, you can choose a house scarf and wand, and there's a pair of Harry's glasses you can wear. There's a professional photographer who takes pictures that you can buy inside the gift shop (they're crazy expensive), or you can have someone take pictures on your own camera/cell phone, which is what we did. It's a fun experience, and I'd say it's a must for any diehard Harry Potter fan.

If you're in London and looking for the TARDIS, it's outside Earl's Court tube station!

  
Do you like Sherlock, Harry Potter, and/or Doctor Who? Have you been to any of these places? What's the coolest fandom-related thing you've ever done/seen? Let's talk here or on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I'm so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are three things I would want to go see too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...