Friday, September 11, 2015

Favourite Quotes from Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

Dumplin' is one of my favourite books of 2015 so far. It's funny, positive, honest, and just all-around amazing. I had so many favourite quotes from the book I decided to dedicate a post entirely to quotes. 

Before I share my favourite quotes, here's a bit about Dumplin'.

Self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson (dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked . . . until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.

Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Clover City beauty pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does. Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.


Coming September 15th, 2015 from Balzer + Bray

{GoodReads || Buy this book: Amazon || Chapters/Indigo}

You can read my 5-star review of Dumplin' here

All quotes taken from the ARC version of Dumplin'. Quotes might be different from final published version of the book. No copyright infringement intended. 

The word fat makes people uncomfortable. But when you see me, the first thing you notice is my body. And my body is fat. It’s like how I notice some girls have big boobs or shiny hair or knobby knees. Those things are okay to say. But the word fat, the one that best describes me, makes lips frown and cheeks lose their colour. But that’s me. I’m fat. It’s not a cuss word. It’s not an insult. At least it’s not when I say it. So I always figure why not get it out of the way? ~ 4%

I don’t get why we call it a crush when it feels more like a curse. ~ 12%

I’m not doing this to be some kind of Joan of Fat Girls or whatever. I’m doing this for Lucy. And for me. I’m ready to go back to being the version of myself I was before Bo. I’m entering this pageant because there’s no reason I shouldn’t. I’m doing this because I want to cross the line between me and the rest of the world. Not be someone’s savior. ~ 42%

It’s selfish and it’s wrong, I know. But I’m not perfect and neither is she. When you love someone enough, you accept their flaws. You make sacrifices to keep them sane. I need her to keep me sane. I need her to sacrifice this for me. ~ 45%

I never stuck with dance classes or did violin or any kind of organized sport. My talents consist of watching television, being Ellen’s best friend, sighing, and knowing the lyrics to nearly every Dolly Parton song. ~ 46%

It’s supposed to be easier to like yourself when someone else likes you. ~ 47%

Then there are days when I really give zero flying fucks, and I am totally satisfied with this body of mine. How can I be both of those people at once? ~ 47%

This distance between us started months ago. I know that. But maybe she didn’t. Maybe you only ever notice the distance when it’s you who’s being left behind. ~ 52%

...good friendships are durable. They’re meant to survive the gaps and growing pains. ~ 55%

There’s something different about us. I can feel it. It’s not a walk. Or a makeup tip. It’s not anything you can label or take a picture of, but I feel it like you do a birthday - nothing you can see, but something you intuitively sense. ~ 72%

Millie is a lavender cotton ball in her matching sweat suit, socks, and headband. It’s like she went online and searched ‘slumber party outfits’ and came up with this gem from a Baby-sitters Club book cover or something. ~ 81%

“What’s up with the necklace?”
He pulls the chain out from under his t-shirt to reveal a small medallion. “Saint Anthony,” he says. “Supposed to help you find lost things.”
“What are you looking for?”
“I don’t know.” He tucks the necklace back behind his collar. “I think maybe I found it. But then some days I think it found me.”
I nod. There’s some kind of peace that comes with knowing that for every person who is waiting to be found, there’s someone out there searching.  ~ 92%

Sometimes figuring out who you are means understanding that we are a mosaic of experiences. I’m Dumplin’. And Will and Willowdean. I’m fat. I’m happy. I’m insecure. I’m bold. ~ 98%




http://sweetmarie-83.blogspot.ca/p/about-me.html
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4690637

1 comment:

  1. Awesome quotes! I'm going to have to get my hands on this one. I too am incredibly talented at sighing. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...