Friday, November 6, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015: Update #1


Toward the end of October when I saw everyone talking about NaNoWriMo, I decided to give in and try again. I participated (and ‘won’) in 2012 and 2013, and since I have a few new(ish) projects, I figured I could join the fun (*cough* insanity *cough*) and use the time to really focus on my writing, cheer on other people, and have other people cheer me on.

My NaNoWriMo Projects

I’m doing this in an unconventional way, but words are words, and I figure as long as I hit 50,000 by November 30th, it doesn’t matter how, right? So I’m starting with a short story that’s a follow-up to my book Something in the Air (which comes out next Tuesday!). It’s set around Christmastime in London, and it’s basically reading like a love letter to London, which I'm okay with. ;-) 

Once that’s done, I’ll be going back to my NaNoWriMo project from 2012. Heh...yeah. I got to 50,000 words three years ago and abandoned the story because I was so stressed and I thought it sucked (even though it really didn’t). The main character has been nattering away at me for the last few months, so I’m finally going to finish her story. I have a lot of rewriting to do (like changing the story from third person to first, adding in all the details I’ve come up with over the past three years, and changing a few of the plot points). A lot of it will initially be rewriting, but I’ll eventually get to actual writing. This one is a contemporary YA, and it involves a character who’s been seen before in a couple of my books...but that’s all I’m going to say for now! Its working title is ‘Dark Side’ because the main character is worried she has a hidden dark side, like a certain family member of hers, and when I first heard the song Dark Side by Kelly Clarkson, it got stuck in my head and I started referring to the story that way, even though I doubt the title will stick.

Week 1 Word Count
  • November 1st: 2,033
  • November 2nd: 2,345
  • November 3rd: 0
  • November 4th: 0
  • November 5th: 0 - UGH, FAIL!
Total: 4,378
Where I should be: 8,330

What happened?! 

Well, it's fairly simple. This week has been CRAZY. With release week for Something in the Air being next week, I have guest posts to write, interview questions to answer, graphics to design, and a million other little things to do. I thought I was caught up and would be able to concentrate on writing, but between that and real life stuff, it wasn't the case. Throw in the fact that early in the week my bff asked if I would come cat/house-sit for her all next week, and I've been scrambling to get stuff done around here, make sure posts are scheduled for next week on Facebook, Twitter, and the blog, plus do a bunch of RL stuff. She lives out of town, and my anxiety will likely prevent me from going out much (or at all) once she's away. She's picking me up on Sunday and she'll be there until Wednesday morning, then gone until Friday night, so I'll be on my own in her apartment for three full days and two nights. But because I'll be on my own for most of the week (she'll be working Monday and Tuesday before leaving Wednesday morning), I'm confident I can get a lot of writing done and catch up to where I should be with my daily numbers and overall goal.

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo 2015? I'd love to cheer you on if you are! Feel free to add me as a buddy. Let's talk here or on Twitter!
http://sweetmarie-83.blogspot.ca/p/about-me.html
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4690637

1 comment:

  1. The best laid plans and all that, right? You'll catch up. I love the love letter to London idea. I love books about London!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...