Friday, August 11, 2017

RomCom Friday: Bridget Jones's Diary

RomCom Friday is a brand new feature here at Ramblings of a Daydreamer. I’ve always been a romantic comedy addict, and since I’m currently writing a romcom, I thought it would be fun to feature a favourite romantic comedy every week and talk about why I love it. Please note, there will be spoilers for each movie.

I’m kicking off this new feature with what is arguably my favourite romantic comedy  (I have so many and change my mind constantly, but this is usually the first one that
comes to mind): Bridget Jones’s Diary.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.” ~ Bridget Jones

Love her or hate her, I think there’s a little bit of Bridget in all of us. She tries so hard to succeed in her own life while keeping other people happy. No matter what obstacles appear, she continues to stumble along, often saying and doing the wrong thing, and sometimes making a complete and utter fool of herself, but at least she tries. She decides to take control of her life and learns that despite her flaws, she’s worth love and respect, plus she ultimately refuses to settle for anything, whether it’s her career or her love life. Her resilience makes her easy to root for.

“You seem to go out of your way to try to make me feel like a complete idiot every time I see you, and you really needn’t bother. I already feel like an idiot most of the time anyway.” ~ Bridget Jones

The characters really make this movie. Besides Bridget, I love her wonderfully eccentric group of friends, and of course Mark Darcy and even Daniel Cleaver. Daniel is one of those characters you love to hate. He’s an arrogant prick (or an ‘emotional fuckwit’ as Bridget calls him) who says and does inappropriate things, treats Bridget pretty terribly, and thinks he can use his charm to get whatever he wants, and yet...I don’t know, there’s just something about him. He’s not a bad person, he just makes bad decisions, and he’s definitely wrong for Bridget. I do love the conflict he adds, though, and I love the fight scene between him and Mark. I’ve seen this movie dozens of times, and that part never ceases to amuse me. There are hundreds of perfectly-choreographed fight scenes in movies and on TV, but I have a feeling this one was far more realistic in its awkwardness.

“I'm sorry? Outside? Should I bring my dueling pistols or my sword?” ~ Daniel Cleaver

Then there’s Mark Darcy. Colin Firth was meant to play the Darcy character, whether in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, or Helen Fielding’s modern-day retelling. He does aloof and disinterested very well (and sexy, but that’s just effortless). While Mark Darcy has a habit similar to Bridget’s - saying the wrong thing at the wrong time - there’s something so utterly charming and swoonworthy about him. While he and Bridget seem like opposites, they balance each other out and work well together.

“I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences...But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much....Just as you are.” ~ Mark Darcy

Bridget’s friends, parents, and assorted extended family members round things out nicely and add humour, levity, and a few interesting plot points. Finally, the city of London itself is almost a character in a way. I love the scenes of Bridget walking through the streets, the shots of Picadilly Circus and the different bridges. I also absolutely love her flat and would give just about anything to live there.

I was seventeen when Bridget Jones’s Diary came out, and even then I related to the hapless heroine. She has an element of the ridiculous about her, but I think that’s what makes her so easy to relate to. Between Bridget Jones’s Diary, the sequel Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (which was just okay for me), and the third movie Bridget Jones’s Baby (which I adored, and which made me fall in love with the characters all over again), I’ve spent the last sixteen years relating to Bridget and seeing more and more of myself in her with each passing year. Now at 33 - single, childless, and still trying to figure out life, but doing it all on my own terms - I’ve come to realize I am Bridget. And I’m okay with that. Now I just need my own Mr. Darcy.

Bridget: “Nice boys don’t kiss like that.”
Mark: “Oh, yes, they fucking do.”
romantic comedy Bridget Jones's Diary featuring Renee Zellweger Colin Firth Hugh Grant
Do you like Bridget Jones's Diary? Can you relate to Bridget? Who's your favourite character? Do you have a favourite quote? Have you seen all three movies?


2 comments:

  1. I love Bridget Jone's Diary sooooo much! I actually just watched all 3 movies this pass week. Awesome post idea. Hope you have a great day Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Helena! I love that you just watched all three recently. I watched 1 and 3 a couple weeks ago. They never get old!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...